It’s a system that enables you to share a digital desktop between two various computer systems.
With one mouse and keyboard, it is possible to get a handle on two computer systems, and move your mouse even from a single desktop to another. It is just like the computer systems are welded together. I’ll demonstrate. This is exactly what my desk at home seems like when my desk is clean:
Regarding the left-hand monitor we have actually a or windows 7 system running. Regarding the right-hand monitor we operate Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn). It shows up on the Ubuntu (right) monitor and vice-versa if I move my mouse off my Windows (left) monitor to the right. Plus cut-and-paste works amongst the devices too.
Here’s just how to configure Synergy with two computer systems. Let’s assume that you have got two house devices called “windowspc” and “ubuntu”. We’ll put the Windows device on the left plus the Ubuntu device regarding the right. One of several two devices will run since the Synergy host as well as the other will run as being a Synergy customer. The Ubuntu was picked by me device to function as the host.
- Install Synergy on both Ubuntu and Windows Ubuntu: Run the demand “sudo apt-get install synergy windows that are” Download the .exe system from SourceForge.
- As root in the Ubuntu device, create an /etc/synergy.conf file aided by the demand “sudo vi /etc/synergy.conf”
There are lots of items to note in this setup file:
– If an individual of one’s machines doesn’t have DNS title, you can make use of the internet protocol address of the device. The “aliases” section lets you accomplish that in a way that is clean. To locate your internet protocol address on or windows 7, do Start->Run, enter cmd, and type “ipconfig /all”. On Linux/Ubuntu, use “ifconfig” to locate your machines’s ip.
– into the “links” section, you must determine both actions: going offscreen-left from the Ubuntu (right) device, and going offscreen-right on the Windows (left) machine. The theory is that you’ll produce actually strange mappings, but maintaining it easy is normally most readily useful.
– The “screenSaverSync = false” demand says to not connect the screensavers associated with the two devices.
– Synergy usually utilizes the “Scroll Lock” key being a toggle that prevents your mouse from making the display screen. We have a KVM switch that utilizes the Scroll Lock key, and so I redefined the “lock Cursor to Screen” key up to a benign key (f12).
Regarding the Windows client, operate Synergy. You’ll need certainly to go into the title or internet protocol address associated with the Ubuntu Synergy host and then click Test. The Windows system shall seem like this:
If you’re making use of a KVM switch, don’t forget to move your mouse/keyboard back once again to the Synergy host operating on Ubuntu. The mouse/keyboard shall be routed through Synergy to your Windows PC, so that your KVM switch needs to be set into the Synergy host.
In the Ubuntu server, click System->Preferences->Sessions (or on newer variations of Ubuntu, click System->Preferences->Startup Applications) and then click Add and work out a startup system (we called it “Synergy Server”) that operates the command “ /usr/bin/synergys –config /etc/synergy.conf “. Once again, that’s two dashes while watching term “config.”
I really hope this guide helps. As soon as you have Synergy going, it is incredibly cool to duplicate some text regarding the Ubuntu device, mouse up to the Windows device, and then paste that text on Windows.
One tip that is final If you’re utilizing a KVM switch, remember which computer your keyboard/mouse is driving. That bit me personally a few times.
Enhance: Note to myself. I defined F12 since the “lockCursorToScreen” key in the config file above. For a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, you may have to press the “F lock” or “Flock” button then F12 if you unintentionally locked your cursor to 1 display.